WonderHowTo is made up niche communities called Worlds. If you've yet to join one (or create your own), get a taste below of what's going on in the community. Check in every Wednesday for a roundup of new activities and projects.
Hacking, crafting, mining & more… just another week at WonderHowTo! As we approach Thanksgiving, we have several activities and projects for you to take advantage of over the weekend and your upcoming days off. This week: Recreating the Antikythera Mechanism in Minecraft, a Pet Portrait Challenge, several Math Craft DIY projects, and more.
- Giveaway Tuesdays Photo Challenge—This week's Giveaway Tuesdays Photo Challenge presents a prize as cute as the theme. Submit your very best pet portrait for a chance to win a DigiDude keychain tripod. We'll be selecting two winners, so gather some inspiration, and submit now!
- Minecraft World's Weekly Workshop—This week's Minecraft Workshop is pretty nerdtastic. The server has been working on a Minecraft replica of the Antikythera Mechanism, an ancient computer built in 100 BC, capable of calculating the occurrence of various astronomical phenomena like solar and lunar eclipses. This week's workshop will take place on Thursday instead of the usual Saturday slot, as Minecraft World will be attending Minecon in Vegas this weekend! More details here.
- Community Byte—Both newbie and veteran programmers are welcome to join Alex Long of Null Byte's weekly community coding projects. Held every Friday at 5:00 pm PST, beginning on the Null Byte IRC, this week's session will continue with the legal hacking of HackThisSite.org, with an emphasis on Basic Mission 3. More details here.
- Scrabble Challenge—Justin Meyers' logophile-centric Scrabble World Challenge is all about Words with Friends this week. Justin compares and contrasts the classic board game with the Facebook alternative, and challenges the community to come up with a worthy first move in both games. More details here.
- Yumi of Secret Tips from the Yumiverse shares a Japanese family tradition this week. Yumi's mom makes hanging dried persimmons (AKA hoshigaki) every fall, and Yumi reports they are super tasty and make for beautiful outdoor decor. Check out the original post or click on the image below to enlarge.
- Cory Poole of Math Craft World shared two How-To projects this week. First, instructions for making an "Orderly Tangle of Triangles"...
...and second, instructions for making Modular Origami (a cube, octahedron and icosahedron made with Sonobe units). If you tackle either of these projects (or any from the past), please post your results to the Math Craft community corkboard.
- Cerek Tunca shared a great tutorial for creating a custom banner for a lightweight RC plane. Don't miss his previous project on making your own DIY iPod projector and screen.
- Alex Long of Null Byte has several projects to offer this week: Learn how to recover and remove Windows passwords, install "incompatible" Friefox addons to the latest version, or set up a virtual computer within your host OS. Check out the blog for a complete rundown.
- Justin Meyers posted photos of a beautiful creation he refers to as "Curve Stitching Takes on the Rubik's Cube". Read more about his process here.
- Imatfaal Avidya joins Math Craft World as a new moderator this week. We're all anxiously awaiting How-To's for the two projects shown below. Amazing work! To comment, go here and here.
- Inspired by Cory Poole's post on creating parabolic arcs from straight lines and creating concentric circles, Watermelonlemon shared two amazingly time intensive pieces. To comment, go here or here.
If you've got a relevant How-To, a source of inspiration, or a finished project, post it to the corkboard in one of the applicable Worlds above. If your project is unrelated to these areas, you can publish a How-To article directly on WonderHowTo, or you can start your own World if you've got the passion—or just post directly to the WonderHowTo company corkboard.
Got a question? Comment below or email email@example.com.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades